Monday, February 14, 2011

Rainy Day Valentine

It's raining. Which means the snow will turn to slush, and then tomorrow or the next day, it will probably freeze. Walking to school is always more fun when it's a death-defying act. You should try it sometime.

I am skipping my only class today to work on a paper that is due on Thursday. I got that abstract written I was talking about, I e-mailed that off to the appropriate people on Friday - way ahead of schedule! Like, a week! I'm so proud of myself for that one. This one, though... it's a 4-page paper on Western Marxism and the Frankfurt School (my chosen topic from the list... it was better than psychoanalytical theory or british cultural studies). I had forgotten to write it in my dayplanner at the beginning of term, and so I totally forgot about it until the prof mentioned it last week. So I'm just getting the readings for it done now, so that's fun. Basically, I have today and Wednesday to work on it, because I have class and work all day tomorrow (8-4), and I'm going to be exhausted in the evening.

Plus, I have to buy groceries tomorrow, because it's Tuesday. That may not make much sense, if you don't know about Student Tuesdays. One of the big chains of grocery stores in the area, Sobeys, has teamed up with Air Miles to offer a 10% discount to students on Tuesdays. Which is great, because when you're a student, every little penny helps. In retaliation, the Superstore location that's most frequented by students also began to offer 10% off on Tuesdays. Lucky for me, the Superstore is on the walk home from school, and the Sobeys is a block form my apartment. So I can hit up Superstore for their choice sales on the way home - they usually only have a few things I want, but they don't have a minimum to the 10% off like Sobeys does ($25) - drop off my stuff at home, and then head over to Sobeys to do the large shop. It's a pretty good system.

I saw one of my best friends last night. I've known her since I was 11, and then I moved to the East Coast when I was 14, but then she came here to go to the same university I go to! So we were reunited after 5 or 6 years. She lives ridiculously close to me, but we rarely see each other. Our class schedules don't match up very well, and we both tend to study at home. But yes, I went to see her yesterday, to give her her birthday present. Her birthday was a month ago, but I haven't had a chance to see her since mid-January, because life's funny that way. I think she really liked it! It was this clock, from etsy seller MakingTimeTC. We have a history of ladybugs together, so I figured she'd like it. Also, she said she needed a clock.

So, it's Valentine's Day, too. That's nice. My boyfriend and I don't have a problem with Valentine's Day the way some people do (it really is just a day, people, and it doesn't hurt anybody if someone enjoys it). But we also don't hype it up the way some people do (it's just a day, people). Neither of us really have the time to do something today - I have this paper to write, and have to be up around 6.30am to get to work tomorrow morning, and he has to work on his area exams for his masters.

We've talked about it before, and we both kind of look at it the same way. It's a nice excuse to spend time with people you care about, especially if it's generally difficult to get time off work or something, but we both feel like it's a little silly to expect so much out of Valentine's Day. We both agree that consistency and little things throughout the year are far more romantic than one blowout "date" because the calendar tells you you're supposed to be 'romantic' today. But then, we tend towards the pragmatic side in our relationship. He bought me a raincoat for my birthday. It's a fantastic coat, and honestly, was one of the sweetest things he could have done, because I hate getting wet and rained on when I don't want to. So, if I have no choice but to go somewhere - like class or something - and it's raining out, I can now skedaddle on my way without feeling soggy and miserable all day. How is that not romantic? To me, that's the epitome of romance - knowing your partner and providing them with the things that they'll really appreciate.

Our roommate makes beer. The apartment smells like warm mash and yeast and stuff. The beer is good, the smell is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment