Monday, March 14, 2011

Spinning Accomplishments!

I finally jumped the hurdle of park-and-draft in my spindling! I'm quite excited. I've been hesitating about moving past it for a while now, mostly because I had finally started to get even, thin singles, and I didn't want to go back to unneven and slubby ones.

However, I told myself, "Just fuck it. Do it." And I did! And yes, it was a little unneven and slubby...

But holy cow, Speed! I can spin so much faster without park-and-draft. Which means I can spin more often/get more practice/get back to even singles!

This week, I spun 130-or-so yards of wool fibre that was gifted to me for Christmas. 130 yards! That's a tonne, for me! That's the most I've ever spun. I did the bulk of it yesterday, while playing Dungeons and Dragons. I'm not sure of the exact breed, but I was told the fibre came from Lismore Sheep Farm, which is a local farm I've bought yarn from before. They say they have multiple breeds in their flock, so I have no idea what it is. It's soft and bouncy, though.

I also discovered in this fibre batch what people mean when they say they prefer spinning undyed fibre because it seems coarse. I've only spun either merino or dyed mystery wool before, and so I assumed that the other wool had been coarser than the merino. But this stuff I just spun was in three chunks - undyed, peach, and orange. The undyed sections were so much softer and fluffier and smoother to spin than the dyed sections. Interesting.

I will post pictures soon, but I currently have to write a short report that is due in an hour and a half!

<3
Wooden Bird

No comments:

Post a Comment