Thursday, April 28, 2011

Moving Day

One of my roommates moved out today, to head back home to Vancouver. I'm going to miss him! He's a really nice guy, and I enjoyed living with him. My boyfriend and I stayed the night at our friend's place in order to give him and hsi girlfriend the place to themselves for their last night together. She'll be staying here to work and finish school, and he'll be back at Christmas.

In related news, the same roommate bought a hat I knit last week! I knit it up one morning, and it was a lot of fun to make. I held some contrasting colours I had and wanted to use up double, and knit until one or the other ran out and then added another colour to keep it doubled. It went from a red/orange, to a red/green, to a green/yellow. Pretty intense! I knit it flat because I didn't have DPNs big enough for what I wanted. I learned how to make a tassle and added a green tassle to the top. When I was done, I showed it to my roommate, and mentioned I was going to put it up on Etsy to sell, and he said he liked it a lot and wanted to buy it instead, so there you go! Cash in hand, I fulfilled one of my 2011 goals (to sell something I made), and I was able to help pay for groceries this week! Woooo. Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture before he left for the airport.

In other news, it looks like I'll be making it to this years Canadian Anthropology Association Conference, in New Brunswick. I asked for the time off work, and I'm hoping they don't mess with me on this. I told them it was school related, so hopefully they'll respect that. I'll be going along with my boyfriend and a bunch of his colleagues from the graduate programme. I'm excited - I think it be a good experience, and I'm hoping to take in some presentations and learn lots and maybe schmooze with some potential grad advisors. I graduate next year, and I need to start thinking about grad schools.

I took out a couple of books from the library as well - some "light" summer reading, to prep me up for my honours research next year. One is an introductory reader on economic anthropology, and one is a reader on moral economies. I also found one on fair trade coffee that should prove to be interesting. I'm not sure how deeply I'll read the two more textbook-like ones, but I figure even if I only do a little but of prep work, that's better than not doing any prep work. I don't have any delusions of actually getting any research done this summer, but giving myself a heads up on the theories I'm going to be using or coming up against in my research would be handy, I think.

I've also been working on getting my desk area better organized. I threw out a bunch of stuff I just don't need, and I'm working out a better organization system. I need to be more organized and less messy. It's not productive for anybody who has to work in the space. It already feels less claustrophobic, and all I've done is, like I said, throw out a bunch of crap.

My goal currently is to mionimize, organize, and spiritualize. I want to get back into a regular spiritual practice. I've let it slip to the wayside, and it's not good for my well-being. I've kept my little Kwan Yin up, but I never pay attention to her. I don't meditate anymore, and I barely pay attention to the sabbats. Beltaine is coming up, and I want to at least take a little me time in the evening to recognize it and what it represents, and to reconnect with Kwan Yin. I have this book that I bought years ago, called A Witch Alone, by Marian Green, and I think it would be beneficial for me to work through it again. It's basically a guided practice to get you on a neo-pagan path, and I could use the structure of it. Unfortunately, I just don't have the space for an altar but I think I might put together something of a portable one that I can stow away and then take out for meditation and other such things.

Relatedly, I've also started doing yoga with my boyfriend, and I was trying out Tai Chi the other day, as well.

So, I've got a lot on the docket, I guess, but I don't think it's really all that much, as long as I approach each day with a positive attitude, stop spending so much time watching TV, and get myself on a more normal sleep schedule.

Life! It's happening!

<3
Wooden Bird

No comments:

Post a Comment